The Best of Muscle Building Supplements
The muscle building supplements industry is worth $50 billion globally. It is no wonder that new brands keep mushrooming every day with glossy advertorials that promise to take you from scrawny to jacked in a span of months or even weeks.
The caveat is that most of these fly-by-night brands disappear as soon as they exhaust their advertising budgets or if they fail to find a footing within the insanely crowded marketplace. But any gullible customers who fall for these tall claims may have already used their products without being fully aware of what’s in it.
The fact is that there are very few good muscle building supplements that are manufactured in GMP and FDA certified facilities. Also, they have a selective and open raw material sourcing policy which informs the customer about the entire journey of the raw materials from the origin to the final product.
If you are looking for the best muscle building supplements, then this article will show you what to look for and how to find it.
What makes up the top muscle building supplements?
It would be an understatement to say that there is an infinitesimally huge difference in a well-reputed supplement brand like Optimum Nutrition for example and some of the other low-quality brands that are being peddled by unscrupulous supplement sellers.
Let’s take their muscle building shakes as a benchmark for analyzing the quality.
ON is known to source their unflavored Whey from Davisco which in turn sources its milk from handpicked organic farms in Ireland that do not use antibiotics or hormones. ON also has one of the most stringent quality checks for every batch of unprocessed raw material that reaches their manufacturing facilities.
There are two things that stand out here:
- ON sources it’s raw materials from selected suppliers only
- They manufacture their own supplements. So, you have an end-to-end trail of what is being sold to you rather than a company that asks another manufacturer to white-label a product and sells it to you.
ON was just used as a reference.
There is a very long and elaborate Reddit thread that has comparisons between some of the big brands. You can find it here (https://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/uva9t/big_reddit_protein_powder_measurement_results/)
To cut the long story short, some of the more popular brands have fallen short of their claims desperately. That’s how the supplement industry works. The claims of 22 grams of protein in your muscle building smoothies may just not be so true after all.
What supplements should I take to build muscle?
That completely depends on what your current health condition is and your fitness level too. But most experts suggest the following supplements to build muscle in every fitness wannabes arsenal.
- Whey Protein: It would be impossible to start a discussion on muscle building supplements without mentioning Whey Protein. Whey Protein in its many forms, be it Isolate, Concentrate or Cassien is one of the cornerstones of any workout program. Apart from giving you a whopping 24 grams of protein in one simple shake, it also helps to preserve muscle mass even while losing weight. There are other forms of protein too like Eggs and Soy. But Whey leads the list now.
- Creatine: Creatine is one of the most effective muscle building supplements in the world that is used by athletes and bodybuilders. It helps to improve the intensity and frequency with which you train, assists in achieving better muscle contractions which is due to the peak levels of creatine phosphate in the body and it has one of the most desired effects, improves the glycogen levels in the body which leads to better muscle pumps. Creatine is a part of most professional muscle building supplement stacks.
- BCAA: Branched Chain Amino Acids can not only help boost muscle recovery after a workout, they can also reduce both mental and physical fatigue that you experience during a workout routine. It is one of the most commonly used supplements by people who train fasted.
- Muscle building vitamins: Vitamins and minerals play a key role in assisting the body to perform its functions to its optimum. There are thousands of metabolic actions that can affect the ability of the body to convert the food you consume into energy and even into tissue. It goes without saying that with an athletic workout and diet plan, you will certainly not be able to fill the gaps in your diet without muscle building vitamins.
- Fat burners: Last but not the least; fat burners can be vital to achieving your end goal of a conditioned body with body fat percentages below 10. There are many types of fat burners on the market and you should do our research about what works best for your bodybuilding goals before you select one of them. Thermogenic fat burners are usually considered to be the best.
Should one take muscle building steroids?
We are a social media obsessed generation that believes in an instant, and shallow gratification and it is not uncommon to see unbelievable body transformations in very limited time that are spurred by anabolic steroid use. Muscle building pills like steroids should never be considered as a shortcut to a good physique. There is a lot more to a healthy and wholesome body than just popping oily injections into your system.
Even if you make gains, in all probability, you will never be able to sustain those gains for the rest of your life. A few years of temporary abs and ripped muscles at the cost of a messed up endocrine system is not worth it. That is the only reason why natural bodybuilding is called the eternal fountain of youth.
Which are the best muscle building supplements for women?
Even though supplement manufacturers may make it seem that women’s muscle building supplements are completely different from that of men, it is untrue. Women also need the same nutrition as men do. The only difference if any, would be in the multivitamin and mineral supplement which may be tailored for a woman’s body and hormonal needs.